April 28, 2017

Five on Friday | LBDI

We made it to Friday! Which means today is my last day wearing my little black dress as part of the Junior League of Harrisburg’s Little Black Dress Initiative. Quick background: the LBDI is a week-long fundraising and awareness campaign where JLH members commit to wearing the same black dress for five workdays to start conversations about and raise money for our organization’s focus, which currently is breaking the cycle of poverty. To learn more about this campaign, check out my personal fundraiser page, and to learn more about JLH, check out our website.


It’s been an interesting week, and I’m joining up for Five on Friday to share five things I’ve learned throughout this event:

1 // Wearing the same black dress for five days was limiting, but not in the way I thought. To be honest, most of my coworkers didn’t even realize I had the same dress on every day this week. It didn’t limit my confidence at work, which I had a concern that it might, but it did make me more careful with my time in the evening. I thought that having a pared-down wardrobe for the week would make getting dressed a breeze, but I had to put more thought into my accessories, plan my laundry so that my dress had time to air-dry before work the next morning, and be extra careful not to spill my coffee on it every morning!  

2 // I put a lot more thought into spending money. Leading up to LBDI week, Junior League members took place in an exercise where we planned a monthly budget based on poverty-level wages. While I’m not trying to appropriate anyone’s lifestyle, it was a good reminder that there are some very tough choices that some of our friends and neighbors have to make every day. Do I really need to order in lunch or buy a new pair of shoes to wear with my LBD, or would that money better be used donating to my own campaign? Exactly. I’m always on a budget, but this week, I tried to be as strict as possible.

3 // People surprised me. A friend from high school admitted to me that she thought Junior League was just another group of snobby women who get together, but after reading Wednesday’s post, her mind was changed and she made a donation to the campaign. If I can help just one person learn more about what we do with JLH, I’ve accomplished something. I’m learning to speak clearly and cohesively about JLH’s mission and why we do what we do, which is a goal I’ve set for myself.  

4 // Checking privilege isn’t always easy to do, but it’s something that must be done. I know that the phrase “check your privilege” is pretty buzzy these days, but it’s something that many of us need to learn to do. To live one week wearing the same dress is one thing, but to be sensitive to and accepting of the struggles that some people live with every day takes education and practice. The Junior League of Harrisburg has been discussing participating a sensitivity training offered by one of our community partners, and I hope it’s something we get to do. I think it would be such a great learning experience and so useful in how we interact with those around us.

5 // My family is so supportive and came through right away. I was so nervous that I wouldn’t meet my fundraising for this goal, but I’m so happy to share that I reached my $250 goal on the very first day due to the generosity of my parents, sister, brother-in-law, and husband. Having people who support my efforts and what I do makes me so thankful and so happy. While I’ve met my goal, JLH is still a little bit shy of our overall goal and I would be so, so appreciative if you would like to join me in donating {here}.

Despite my reservations, I’m so glad I participated in this year’s Little Black Dress Initiative. I learned quite a bit about myself, about my community, and stepped out of my comfort zone. A lot of work went in to planning this event, and I’m thankful to everyone who had a hand in pulling it off successfully. And a huge thank you to each and every one of you who took the time and shared your hard-earned dollars with an organization that means so much to me, and to the Harrisburg community. THANK YOU ALL!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say - your comments make my day!

Blog Design by Get Polished