April 5, 2017

Book Club | March 2017

It's that time again - book club time! I'm right on track with my goal to read 52 books this year. In March I finished quite a few books, some good, some not so good. So let's get to it - what I read last month (no spoilers!):

March 2017 Book Club | Reads and Reviews


The Assistants by Camille Perri

(3/5) The premise behind this novel is what any post-grad dreams of: finding a windfall that allows for paying off student loans in one immediate lump sum. However, for Tina Fontana, her windfall comes through an embezzlement ring that she creates with other young assistants at the gigantic media company where they work. It's a silly story, but the sheer amount of money that many of us owe from our college educations is all too real, and Tina and her girlfriends try to even the playing field a bit. This story is a quick beach read, but fair warning - if you have as many college loans as I do, you might get a little pissy when reading!

Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler

(3.5/5) Anyone who has ever worked in the foodservice industry as a server or bartender will relate to at least one part of this story. We follow Tess, new to NYC, as she works with the lifers in the restaurant world, as well as those who are "just here until something better comes along." I will say, though, that this book really has no plot. It's just tagging along with Tess as she explores a new life in the city - food, men, drugs. Or maybe it was just me and I was missing something? If you read it, I'd really like to know what you thought!

Dead Letters by Caite Dolan-Leach

(4/5) I have to start by saying I liked this book so much more at the end than I did when I started it. It's a mystery that begins with Ava arriving back in New York after the death of her twin sister, Zelda. Almost immediately upon her arrival back at the family's vineyard, Ava begins to realize that her sister's death is just a bit too suspicious, just as Zelda's notes and clues start rolling in. As Ava made her way through the alphabet trying to figure out just what kind of game Zelda is playing, I found myself becoming more and more engrossed in the story. I'm looking forward to more from this new author!

Dare Me by Megan Abbott

(2.5/5) This story about high school mean girls gone too far was somewhat disappointing to me after really, really enjoying Abbott's novel "You Will Know Me," which I read last summer while sitting at the pool. It just seemed so ridiculously unreal to me - high school cheerleaders drinking with their coach, affairs, and a murder - it was all so much. Still, I finished the book and was left with so many questions. I wanted to know what happened AFTER the story finished; there was so much more to be told.

We Could Be Beautiful by Swan Huntley

(3/5) Have you ever read a book where you absolutely despised the main character? That's how I felt about We Could Be Beautiful. Catherine West (great name, though) is a very wealthy woman living in NYC. She spends her time visiting with her senile mother, competing with her younger sister, and worrying about getting older. So when a new man appears, she falls head over heels for him and quickly becomes engaged. But her new fiance, William, is hiding a secret and Catherine has to decide if that secret is worth uncovering and living with, or if she wants to keep it hidden and finally become happily married. I finished this story pretty quickly, but there were so many times that I wanted to reach through the pages and slap Catherine for her bratty attitude. But hey, if the author's goal was to give us an utterly unlikeable main character, she absolutely succeeded! 

So, that's where I'm at after March's reading list. If you've read any of them, what did you think? I always love hearing what others thought of books I might've completely disliked or absolutely loved.

I'm currently struggling through June by Miranda Beverly-Whitemore and I have Anna Kendrick's book up next. Any suggestions for what to read after that? Let me know!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say - your comments make my day!

Blog Design by Get Polished