March 8, 2017

Book Club | February 2017 Reads

In 2016 I kept a list of books I’d read in the back of my planner and used a very fancy system of asterisks to note which books I really, really liked. This year, I decided it would be more fun to keep track here, complete with mini reviews. So, for those of you who may be looking for your next read, here are five of the books I’ve read so far this year:


1 // The Secret History by Donna Tartt


This book by the author of The Goldfinch takes the number one spot, just because I so thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s a long one (my copy was nearly 600 pages), but so worth the read. This debut novel follows the story of a small cohort of classmates at a small college in New England before and after tragedy strikes. I’m a sucker for any books that are 1) set in New England, 2) involve a group of students at a prep school or college, and 3) are psychological thrillers. If you’re a fan of those topics, I highly suggest this book. I haven’t read the Goldfinch, but I’m adding it to my to-read list after reading The Secret History!


2 // Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough


So this book is somewhat hard to share without giving away too much. It's a very interesting psychological thriller that is told from the point of dual narrators. To keep the spoilers off the blog, I’ll just mention the book involves an affair, a sneaky friendship, a mysterious past, and some terrifying nightmares. So you want to read it, right? Yes! And just wait until you reach the end!


3 // The Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gaines


I think this little autobiography has been read by most of my friends recently, so of course I had to pick it up. Disclaimer: I have never seen an episode of Chip and Joanna’s HGTV show, Fixer Upper, but I do follow them on social media and love looking at photos of their beautiful renos. For those who are fans of the show, I think you’ll get much more out of the book than I did. The story of how they met and started their business was cute, but I really wanted the inside scoop on how they work together on the homes and all of the craziness that goes into flipping a residence. Nevertheless, I liked learning more about Chip and Joanna and will have to sneak over to my parents’ to watch a few episodes on their cable TV!


4 // Polish Your Poise with Madame Chic by Jennifer L. Scott


This is a cute little book from the Madame Chic series by The Daily Connoisseur blogger Jennifer Scott. It describes what Jennifer learned about Frenchwomen from her study abroad experience in Paris, but also shares little anecdotes about her life in California. The author shares everything from her advice on creating a Parisian “ten item wardrobe,” to how to handle stressful situations without flying off the handle. It’s a short read and reminded me of Emily Post, if Emily had lived in 21st Century Paris. 


5 // Lucky You by Erika Carter


I had really high hopes for this novel about three friends who for one reason or another decide to live off the grid for 12 months. The premise of the book seemed so great – a cabin in the woods, living off of the land, confronting all of the issues that got you into this situation – but the story fell flat in actuality. There wasn’t much character development, and the story skipped months ahead without filling in the blanks. It was an easy read, but I wouldn’t recommend it. 


Also, for those of you who haven't joined Book of the Month Club yet, I highly recommend it! I’ve enjoyed every book (aside from one!) that I've received from this once-monthly book shipment. It's opened my eyes to new authors and different genres that I'm excited to explore more. If you join via this link it’s $9.99/month and you get a sweet little book tote with your first book. So get on that and we can chat about more books next month!


No comments :

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say - your comments make my day!

Blog Design by Get Polished