October 26, 2016

Autumn Reads | Book Reviews

Earlier this week I posted a little poll on Facebook asking for book recommendations. I’m well into my goal of reading 52 books this year, but I’ve recently hit a standstill after finishing my backlogged pile. Thanks to my friends and family, I have a few books that I picked up from the library last night and a few more that I’m on the waitlist for! If you’re looking for a good read to curl up with this October, here are a few I’ve recently finished and loved:


1 // The Woman in Cabin 10 – Ruth Ware

This murder mystery was a Book of the Month choice that I passed over in August. However, after reading reviews I knew I needed to get my hands on it, and I’m glad I did! This novel follows Lo Blacklock, a travel journalist aboard the maiden voyage of a luxury yacht. On her first night, she hears (or thinks she hears) a woman being murdered in the cabin next to hers. But Lo is an unreliable narrator, and I found myself wondering what was true and what was being covered up. Pick this one up and read it in a day or two!

2 // Siracusa – Delia Ephron

Oh my goodness I loved this book, if only for the oh-so-talented writing style that is Ephron’s. Told from alternating points-of-view, Siracusa chronicles an Italian adventure full of deceit, love triangles, and of course food and wine. The different voices of each adult character (Lizzie, Michael, Taylor and Finn) were so perfectly written and captured the turbulent thoughts and feelings that each one was experiencing. This was another Book of the Month choice, and I’m so happy I picked it!

3 // The Curated Closet – Anuschka Rees

This book by the author of the minimalist blog Into Mind has been the perfect jumpstart for helping me create my capsule wardrobe. Although I know myself well enough to know that I will never be a true minimalist, I am concentrating on paring down my wardrobe and becoming a more conscious consumer. Anuschka helped me work through my closet and understand that a curated selection of clothing that I love is more important than having a true capsule. One of the most helpful parts of The Curated Closet was taking photos of outfits for a few weeks and using those pictures to analyze why or why not I loved what I was wearing, as well as how I felt in the clothing. I’m still in the process of solidifying my wardrobe after a KonMari purge, and this book has really helped me plan by solidifying a color palette and creating a specific list of what I need to fill in wardrobe gaps. If you’re a fan of Anuschka’s blog, I definitely suggest picking up the book! (Disclosure: I received The Curated Closet from BloggingForBooks.com)

4 // The Devil in the White City – Erik Larson

A non-fiction book that seems like it can’t possibly be true, The Devil in the White City has a dual focus: the building of the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair and the disappearance of women (and men) who came to Chicago to take part in this once-in-a-lifetime exposition. While reading this book, I had to remind myself that it was a completely true story. Building the World’s Columbian Exposition in the late 1800s seemed almost impossible as it was, but add in the murderous mindset of Dr. H.H. Holmes and this is a book that just seems unreal. I’ve had this book on my “to-read” pile since last year, and I’m unsure what got me to finally start reading it, but I’m glad I did. If you love historical fiction and twisted murder, this is a great story to check out!

So those are the most recent books I’ve finished; is there anything else I should add to my list? Too many books is never a problem!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say - your comments make my day!

Blog Design by Get Polished