January 22, 2016

A 2016 Reading Challenge + Book Reviews!

I've set a challenge for myself to read 52 books this year, and luckily I'm on my way! Between taking five flights in early January to bouts with insomnia last week, I've had quite the opportunity to read quite a bit already this year. 
The first book I finished this year was Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter. If you're into psychological mysteries like Gone Girl, I highly recommend this book. It's not for the fainthearted, as it's creepy and odd and sickly all wrapped up in one hardcover novel! This story is based around a decade-old missing woman case as her sisters unravel the mystery of her disappearance. It's difficult for me to really explain this novel without giving too much away, so I'll just say that if you liked Gone Girl or Sharp Objects, you need to pick up Pretty Girls! 

And speaking of Gillian Flynn, I also just finished The GrownupI was surprised at how short this short story really was! I read this book in an afternoon because it kept me guessing and I had to know what the heck was going on. It was written in the typical Gillian Flynn style - very smart and manipulative characters who manage to keep you guessing. Without giving much away (which is difficult with a short story!), this twisty story left me thinking all of the characters bordered on confusing - who was conning who? And the end was the most puzzling to me, as I wanted so much more. Overall, this was a good quick read, but I'd really like to know what happened after the last page! (Full disclosure: I received this book from Blogging For Books)

Most recently, I finished The Admissions by Meg Mitchell Moore. First, I loved the clever title! This book weaves the stories of a mother, father and their oldest daughter as she prepares for one of the most stressful moments of a high schoolers' life - college applications and the much anticipated admission letter. Beneath the surface of each character lie the secrets that the characters need to admit to one another, but instead they keep them hidden to ensure their perfect lives remain perfect. This would be a perfect summer beach read and it's made me excited to seek out Moore's other novels.

I also finished two other books through my Kindle Unlimited subscription, both of which were okay but ultimately forgettable. Currently, I'm getting ready to start Tiny Little Thing by Beatriz Williams and also planning a trip to the library before this snowstorm comes through our area this weekend. If you have any recommendations, please let me know!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say - your comments make my day!

Blog Design by Get Polished